Sunday 23 February 2014

How much is this piece?

I often received queries about the price of my piece of craft and I am usually at a loss on what figure to quote for them.  It takes a lot of hours to make a handmade craft item and add a few more hours, or days even, if the item is your own original design.

I have come across an app that helps that can give a quick estimate of what price to give.  It is an online app called the Crafts Calculator.

Using this piece of tatting that I have finished a few months back, I now have an idea of what to charge for it.

This is a tatted doily made from a pattern available online.  I used up almost two balls of thread (US10) and it took me about 50 hours of tatting to finish it.  The finished size is 10.25 inches or 26cm wide.

Using the calculator, the suggested selling price is US198 (equivalent to about RM652) at a minimum of 10% profit.  If I want to earn more profit from it, say 20%, then my selling price should be US216 (RM711).

If it is my own design, then I will have to add more hours to it and it will raise the price even more!

Anyway, this is not going to be turned into a debate on whether handmade is given its due worth or not. There had been much discussion on that.  I just wanted to share this helpful apps.

Happy Crafting.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this fine article and for sharing info about the Crafts Calculator.

    ReplyDelete

Pls include your email address if u would like a personal reply or just email us at acgmalaysia@gmail.com. Thks :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...